- Network to Success Job Club
Sponsored by McHenry County Workforce Network, meetings are held every 2nd and 4th Wednesday at 1:00pm at the McHenry County Administrative Building, Room 209K (667 Ware Rd., Woodstock, IL 60098)
- Saint Hubert Parish Job & Networking Ministry
Job club meetings are held on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month at 7:00pm at St. Hubert Parish Ministry Center (729 Grand Canyon St., Hoffman Estates, IL; 847.885.7700 x101). The group also sponsors job hunting workshops throughout the suburbs. Sign up for their job board: email@example.com.
Databases to Help Job Hunters
These are subscription databases available in the library or 24/7 to CLPL cardholders. To connect from home, have your Crystal Lake Public Library card barcode number ready.
|Career Cruising - an online career exploration system that includes assessments, links to school programs, a job search module, and resume tool. Also available in Spanish.
Career Cruising - un sistema de exploración de carreras en línea que incluye evaluaciones para ayudar al usuario a averiguar qué carrera es adecuada. Incluye información no sólo sobre la carrera, sino también enlaces a programas ofrecidos en ese campo. Tiene un módulo de búsqueda de empleo y una herramienta de currículum.
|DemographicsNow: Business & People - Research companies to prepare for interviews or identify potential employers, and find job listings. Are you thinking of starting a business? Find demographic information to help you research and prepare.|
|Job Search Resources - through CLPL's Online Resources Gateway|
|Learning Express Library - Develop your skills with online tutorials and courses or take practice vocational exams, learn to do resumes and more.|
|lynda.com – Online learning for business, software, technology, and creative skills to achieve personal and professional goals.|
|Reference USA - Research companies to prepare for interviews or identify potential employers, and find job listings. Click here for a guide to Reference USA for Job Hunters.|
|Small Business Resource Center - Search this database to learn how to start, finance or manage a small business. Resources include sample business plans, how to guides, articles and websites.|
- Illinois workNet Center - Excellent comprehensive site
- CareerBuilder - Look for jobs and post your resume
- CareerOneStop - Nationwide resource for job hunters
- Craigslist - Find jobs not advertised elsewhere, including freelance assignments
- Earn money online (Mashupmom.com) - Online money-making opportunities
- Glassdoor - An inside look at jobs & companies
- Indeed: one search. all jobs - This site gathers job ads from other resources, including CareerBuilder and Monster
- Job-Hunt.org - Links to Illinois job boards and employers
- LinkedIn - A great resource for professional networking and job ads
- Monster.com - Look for jobs and post your resume
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Learn about different careers and the outlook for employment, training and skills needed, etc.
- O*NET OnLine - Career information
- Quintessential Careers - Helpful resources for job hunters
- USA.gov - Jobs, Education, and Volunteerism - Apply for a federal government job
- Work at Home Guide (Clark Howard) - Information on work-at-home opportunities
- McHenry County Workforce Network (500 Russel Ct., Woodstock, IL; 815.338.7100; email firstname.lastname@example.org) - Offers job hunting and computer classes, resume writing software, free access to computers, phones, faxing, photocopiers, and stamps. Schedule a mock interview or receive a resume critique.
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (500 Russel Ct., Woodstock, IL; 815.338.7100) - Apply here for unemployment insurance.
- Career Services, McHenry County College (8900 U.S. Highway 14, Crystal Lake, IL; 815.455.8576) - Any county resident can get help with resumes, cover letters, interview preparation and general career planning. Website includes access to job listings.
- Working World, Inc. Staffing Services (14 N. Walkup Ave., Crystal Lake, IL 60014; 815.455.4490) - local job agency
- Library Staff can help you locate resources, and assist with computer use
- Computer/Equipment Resources:
- Internet computers
- Free Wi-Fi access
- Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) (including resume wizards)
- Photocopier with scanning and emailing capability
- Computer Classes - Free basic classes are offered throughout the year to help you learn to use software programs and how to search the Internet.
- Books on job hunting:
- Careers (check the 331.7-331.702 section of the Library)
- Resumes (650.142 section)
- Interviewing (650.144 section)
- Click here for information on Researching a Company