August is Get Ready for Kindergarten Month! Have a little one going to kindergarten soon? Here are some resources to help you get ready:
- Reading to your child is important for developing early literacy skills! Click here for a list of 1000 books to read to your child before they start kindergarten.
- Check out TumbleBooks! Read books online, play games, and do puzzles that encourage reading skills.
- Is your child ready for kindergarten, or should you delay? Some tips on evaluating your child's readiness from the folks at Sesame Street.
- Stop into CLPL for our drop-in craft and LEGO programs, Big Blue Blocks, and storytimes – all great ways to encourage big thoughts and socialize with other kids!
National Tell a Joke Day
August 16 is National Tell a Joke Day! Keep the laughter going all month long with these Library resources.
- Joke books for kids @ CLPL
- Kick back and laugh with one of these comedy films for grownups!
- Do you have a favorite comedian? Chances are they've written a book! Check out these titles by some famous funny people.
Reno, Nevada was home to this year's National SCRABBLE Championship during August 1-5. One out of every three American homes has at least one version of this popular boardgame. Do you?
- Join the North American SCRABBLE Players Association
- Visit Cross-Tables.com to find an upcoming SCRABBLE tournament near you.
- Compare your vocabulary to Hasbro's Official SCRABBLE Dictonary.
- What new words will be added to the official wordlist of the World English Language SCRABBLE Players Association this year?
National Read-A-Romance Month
Summer is the perfect time to dip into a romance novel! Just choose a format--print, e-format, CD, or Playaway and enjoy.
- Romance @ CLPL
- eBooks and e Audiobooks by many of your favorite romance authors are available with your CLPL card through OverDrive and eReadIllinois.
- Visit the Romance Writers of America website for more information about everything romance.
- Looking for a new romance author? The Read-A-Romance calendar has plenty of suggestions!
- PBS.org offers tips for aspiring romance writers.